Are you storing vegetables and fruits in a plastic bag? You need to read this blog, the next time you plan to store your veggies in a plastic container.
We can imagine our kitchen without a lot of things, but not without plastic. Plastics have become an integral part of our kitchen. From storing veggies to storing last night’s food, plastic bags are used. But is using plastic healthy?
Plastics are synthetically manufactured by combining chemicals. So, wonder what happens when we store vegetables in it? When food is stored in plastic bags, these chemicals react with the food and infest them. Thus it is not at all appropriate to store food in plastic bags.
Not only that, but plastic is a non-biodegradable product that harms the environment as well.
1) Plastic reacts with food making it contaminated.
2) If eaten by animals, it can choke them to death.
3) Plastic products are made from petroleum products. It takes around 60-100 million barrels of oil from the world’s petroleum reserves to make plastic products. Thus, plastic is one of the key elements responsible for the depletion of such a valuable resource.
4) Studies have shown that meals that are eaten or heated in plastic result in ulcers, asthma, obesity, and certain cancers. Not just that but it may also cause diabetes, liver toxicity, and heart disease.
5) Toxic chemicals are released into the air while manufacturing which results in air pollution.
6) When exposed to children, plastic bags can lead to lung problems.
7) Plastic is also responsible for disturbance in reproduction in women. It can increase the risk of prostate cancer in men.
Single-use plastic is not at all safe for use. It has many harmful chemicals which affect both our health and the environment. There are many ways in which you can avoid using plastic. One simple way to give you a push is to start using paper bags or reusable bags while going on shopping. While storing food or in the kitchen, it is advisable to use glassware or steelware to prevent food from getting contaminated by harmful chemicals.